Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Birth

They say the best place to start is at the beginning so that's where I'll be starting. I was born under exciting circumstances, so it's fitting that my life would continue that way until my karma was done. Yes, I believe in Karma. And God. A mix of both I'd say with a sprinkle of religion. I was born when my mother was 40 and they urged her to abort,as this was in 1963 when having babies was unheard of and there was no way to tell if the baby would have birth defects. My mother refused and said I was a "welcome accident" coming thirteen years later after my brother and sister. My father was 45 and grunted an "OK". He grunted a lot. I was a month late which must have provoked so much anxiety in my mother that I was an hour early for everything after that and became a time Nazi in my professional life.
Anyway, my mother's water broke and she most likely said very politely and elegantly as she would, "Karel, it's time." They sped down the Northwest Freeway off to South Beaumont Hospital, as we lived in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan. As they crossed under an overpass, two teens tossed a large rock off the pass which smashed the windshield of my father's auto.  Luckily, there was a policeman who saw this and waved my father off the side of the freeway. He got  them in the cruiser and raced off to the hospital. I was born in all my glory, blue faced with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck five times, (this explains a lot.)My mother added proudly that I had a full head of hair, she was big in to looks so that's all she saw. They slapped my butt and shot me, screaming into reality and then paraded me around the hospital proudly so that everyone could see the baby that almost died with all that dark, silky hair. I was named "Helena Louise" after my fathers half sister Helena and some dead woman my mother knew; although I think this was out of desperation as a deterrent to Olga, my father's other half sister.Leni came from Helena and actually means "beauty" in Czech. Although I looked this up and it mean "Torch" in Greek. And so I was born and so it shall be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to know who you are and keep it clean and civilized. :)